It is true that content is king when it comes to the successful promotion of brand, but the most important step here is that you have to make your content more attractive. One way to do this is with the use of infographics. I am sure most people have seen an infographic before, but how do you construct an engaging and interactive infographic? In this article, there are two parts: first part includes the infographic basics and it’s importance, second part includes the Dos and Don’ts of infographics.
What is an infographic?
Infographics are also called infoposters and data visualization. Infographics are exactly what the name suggests – information graphics. They are the tools used to communicate the information in an effective and understandable way. They include pictures, tables, graphics, charts, symbols, words, and can be colorful.
Infographics serve as the best marketing tool for the following reasons:
- Attractive to look at: Infographics are basically used to present the numerical data in the form of graphics. The visual nature of infographics gives the information an interesting look and attracts viewers.
- Quick and convenient: Customers want relevant information and appreciate it, if they get it quickly. Since infographics present the information in graphics, it is much easier for the viewer to read and understand the information in few seconds.
- Effective: An effectively designed infographic can transform a feeling, along with a story, and is supported by facts.
Why to use infographics:
- Infographics transform facts into visuals, which are easier to understand.
- Images are easily to remember.
- Images are more appealing to eye.
- Infographics can help you to become an industry leader.
Dos and Don’ts of Infographics:
Dos of infographics
- Do think about the space: The amounts of the information you want to place in the infographic determine the size of the infographics. It is better to take the benefit of vertical space so that the infographic fits on all the devices, and can be viewed easily from all the devices.
- Make use of proportions for data visualization: The whole concept of infographic is to outline the data in such a way that it can be easily absorbed. You must use text and images in proper proportion so that it is attractive as well as informative.
- Do choose soothing and contrasting colors: For the to be considered engaging and attractive, use colors effectively. Color contrast should be suitable and soothing to the eyes, and the text should be clear and easy to read. You must choose the color of text in contrast with the base color so that it can easily be viewed.
- Share it on social media: If the infographics are promoted wisely, they will sell themselves. In order to benefit from infographics, you must share them on various social networking sites like Twitter, Stumbleupon, Linkedin etc.
- Do turn it into press release: Create a press release of your infographic, as it will move across the web much faster compared to other media.
Don’ts of Infographics:
- Don’t make big infographics: Avoid making infographics too big, as they will take more time in loading. You must try to focus on the purpose of creating the infographic, and should include only the important data in it.
- Don’t use static shapes: Your infographic must differentiate between the data visually, i.e. you must use facts and stats in proper proportion so that they can easily be differentiated, and should not create any confusion.
- Don’t use colors that are not appealing: The major problem, or mistake, which designers make while creating an infographic is the color. The designer would not want to use colors that can irritate the eyes. It is necessary that the designer develop a color strategy.
- Don’t wait for the audience: Don’t wait for the audience to come to you. Rather, start promoting your infographic on social media platforms.
Summary: Infographics can be a key to success if you create it to draw attention and tell a unique story – in an interesting, visual way. Check out this post on some good examples of infographics.